Protection from Abuse PFA Order Lawyer

Gadsden protection from abuse attorneys representing clients in Gadsden, Attalla, Southside, Rainbow City, Hokes Bluff, Glencoe and other areas of Etowah, Blount, Cherokee, Dekalb, Calhoun and St. Clair Counties

Stop Abuse

A Protection from Abuse Order can be filed when someone alleges abuse, harassment, or threats of violence at the hands of a spouse, former spouse, common-law spouse, or parent of a shared child. The Protection from Abuse Act ensures that a harassed or abused partner and any children are protected by the courts.

Although having an attorney can be helpful, it is not necessary to have an attorney to see a PFA order. There is no fee associated with filing. Simply visit your local circuit court clerk and ask for the appropriate paperwork. The paperwork is simple and can be filled out immediately. Afterwards, you will meet with the magistrate and explain the situation. If the magistrate believes there is just cause, a PFA order will be issued immediately. The other party will be served by a sheriff as soon as possible.

Click here for link to Sheriff’s Office Protection from Abuse Form

The order restricts other party from abusing, threatening to abuse, or contacting you in any way, even via a third party. In addition, the order prevents the other party from visiting your place of business or any other place you frequent. This is a legal order, and violation of this order is a Class A misdemeanor which may be punished with a fine of up to $2,000 and up to a year in jail. The other party will be served with papers regarding a court hearing which will be held approximately two weeks later. Should your former partner contact you at any time or attempt to see you, contact local authorities immediately for assistance. Remember, once a Protection from Abuse Order is instated, it is a legal order, and you have a right to have it enforced.

Stop Abuse

At the court hearing, the judge somes will determine custody arrangements and support orders. The judge sometimes awards temporary residence in the home and possession of an automobile to the woman and children. Child support and alimony can be awarded as well. The judge can extend the PFA order, usually for a period of one year. Since the PFA order entitles the complainant to the home and custody of the children, it is sometimes filed in order to gain advantage in a divorce. As a result, the other parent will not have custody and will have only limited, supervised visitation.

If you have been served with PFA papers, it is critical that you contact an attorney immediately. Your rights to custody of your children may impinge upon the results of the court proceedings. In addition, it is important that you do not violate the Protection from Abuse Order, even if you believe there has been no abuse. Violating the order is a Class A misdemeanor and may result in a fine of up to $2,000 and as much as a year in jail. The court is serious about exercising this penalty.

Stop Abuse
I need Help

Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with a lawyer about your family law matter. We offer a free, in-person consultation to all new clients. You may contact our Gadsden law office online at, or you may call our office directly at (256) 547-1005.

What Our Clients Say?

Check some of our testimonials: